Washtenaw Community College was established in 1965, when Washtenaw County voters passed a millage to provide financial support for a countywide community college. WCC opened with a 6-member Board of Trustees, a newly-appointed president, and a parcel of land in Ann Arbor and Superior Townships. Classes started in September 1966 on a temporary campus at Willow Run, with 1200 students enrolled in 30 occupational programs and a transfer curriculum.
From this modest beginning, WCC has grown into one of the nation’s premier community colleges with an annual enrollment of more than 20,000 students in credit classes each year, and thousands more in Economic and College Development classes. Our diverse student body includes more than 1,000 students from 100+ foreign countries. Our 285-acre campus and strategically located extension centers, operating resources, technology-enabled facilities, and instructional quality are the envy of post-secondary education institutions near and far.